Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Life Before Weblogs, or, as they are more commonly known as, Blogs.

Oh, my, people.

So, when my mom moved, she did that thing moms do when you're, like, in your thirties and you've been using her attic to store crap you didn't feel like throwing away -- she put that shit in a box and made me deal with it.

I am, today, taking on the box of yearbooks, journals, etc. that she made me take home.

I found a lot of stuff, including an "underground newspaper" I published in high school. AKA -- a 'zine. But we were in Southern Indiana and it was, like, 1992, so, we called it Underground Newspaper. Actually, the thing was called "Circle Art." It was totally hott. I was the editor. We used PageMaker. And a computer. (But we did not have the Internet, back then.)

I found a couple of issues in the box, but I've yet gotten up the courage to look them over, as I am scared to face what an asshole I was at 18. But I did find something I forgot existed -- a REVIEW of our underground newspaper. I'll share that, here:

It's from a publication called "Transitions." I have no idea what this is. I cannot even remember it being published, but I did paste it into a scrapbook, so I must have been super pumped about it.

It must have been written by a fellow teen, y'all -- it doesn't have a full name. It just says, "By Wiley." Wiley is super dramatic.

The review
Since this is my first writing opportunity for a "legitimate" publication, I've decided to share and review my favorite "not-quite-legitamate" publications, a format known as fanzines.


Fanzines, or as they are more commonly called, zines, are privately produced forms of literature which are primarily used as an uncensored channel for the author(s) beliefs. Personalized views of politics, society, arts and entertainment and humor are the ususal contents.


This is where Wiley gets super hardcore:

Zines are not for the weak of heart, nor the faint of IQ. They are often offensive and usually wittier than anything you'll reqad in Spin or Spy. Simply put, zines are the last form of truly free expression. Amazingly, we even have some in Evansville.


See? He's NOT weak of heart, FAINT OF IQ, or scared of FREE EXPRESSION. And, he's totally jaded about living in this podunk town. As soon as he can, he's breaking on out of here and heading to New York to develop his professional VOICE.

Circle Art originates from Castle High School in Newburgh and is thus difficult to come by all the way over here on the West Side.


I think this means Wiley doesn't have a car.

The writers, which are numerous, use offensive pen names to disguise themselves. This zine is produced via computer which gives it a very slick look -- uncommon to most zines which usually look like your third-grade collage. The issue I obtained was the Sex Issue. It was surprisingly informative while keeping an amusing outlook on the subject. Articles ranged from the myths of sex to protection.


We were super sophisticated. Not afraid to tackle the topic on everyone's mind, boning. Not afraid to use offensive pennames. Not afraid to write anonymously and then xerox the hell out of that thing. Our circulation reached all the way to the WEST SIDE, y'all.

Assets: Easy readability, good package, numerous writers that offer a wide range of viewpoints. Overall feel and attitude of zine is dead on.
Liabilities: Limited circulation and small size.


How can we have both a 'good package' and a 'small size'?

Wrap your faint IQ around that, Wiley.

No comments: